Skip to Main Content

Library FAQ: FAQ

Library FAQ

You will find answers to many of your questions related to finding, accessing, checking out, and renewing materials on this pages.  Use the navigation on the left side of the screen to help you find the information you need.  If you can't find the answer to your question, don't hesitate to ask a library staff member for assistance by emailing or calling the main library phone number: 540-887-7085 If you have a question about research, try the Research Help Guide.

How do I set up my library account?

You can create an account through My Library Account. You will need your Mary Baldwin ID number.

On the Sign in page, enter your Mary Baldwin ID number into the box, then select the "Set/reset password" button. You will get an email with further instruction.

Need more help? See our Library Account Guide

How do I renew materials?

You can renew materials using your Library Account. You will need to have a library account already set up. 

Need more help? See our Library Account Guide

How do I place a hold/request a book?

To place a request on a book, you must first Create a Library Account, and be logged into that account. Once you find your book in the library catalog, click on the link for the book in the search results list, and find the brown button that says "Place Hold." Need more help? See our Library Account Guide

Do you have access to electronic magazines?

Yes! You can access magazines using the online platform Flipster. You can see more information, as well as what magazines are available on the Newspapers & Magazines.

How can I find access to a journal article that I want?

The most reliable way to find out if Grafton Library has access to a journal article is to search the Journal Finder. While the vast majority of our journal holdings are electronic, we do have some print and microform collections. Please see a staff member if you need to access an item in one of these collections. Remember, if we don't have access to a journal, you can use the ILL Request Form!

My professor said a book is "on reserve." How do I access it?

You can search for the item using the course reserves search. Items on reserve are available at the Circulation Desk on the main floor of the library. Each student may checkout up to three reserves at one time. Reserves check out for 4 hours and may not leave the library. If you need to watch a DVD that's on Reserve, you can check out the portable DVD player, which can be hooked up to a larger screen if desired.

How do I access ebooks?

You access Grafton's electronic books through the Grafton Library Discovery Service (GLDYS). If your search results, say "eBook" under the author then the item is an ebook, and you can access it by clicking on the view ebook link.  

How do I request items through Interlibrary Loan?

Our Interlibrary Loan FAQ  should be able to answer any question that you may have. If your question isn't answered there, please contact our interlibrary loan coordinator.

How do I access library resources from off campus?

Go the Library homepage and click on the Off Campus Access button in the left side navigation. You will be prompted to supply your Mary Baldwin Network/e-mail User Name and Mary Baldwin Network Password.  If you have questions about your user name or password, please visit the Office of Information Technology (OIT) site or contact OIT at 540-887-7075.

How do I print?

You can print documents in black and white using the library's printers. Printing is free, but not unlimited. Each student may print up to 1000 pages, after which they will need to contact the Office of Information Technology at 540-840-7075. You can also print remotely. You can send the print request from any computer using your Mary Baldwin email address. Simply attach the file(s) that you wish to print to the email and send it to It will only print out once you logon to a university printer and release it. Documents will be available for 24 hours. 

Other questions?

If you have questions not answered here, or if you need help with finding books or articles, citing materials, using library databases, using library equipment, please send your question to