Skip to Main Content
Mary Baldwin University Logo
Martha S. Grafton Library

How do I...?

How do I...?

Library Services FAQ

You will find answers to many of your questions related to finding, accessing, checking out, and renewing materials on this pages.  Use the navigation on the left side of the screen to help you find the information you need.  If you can't find the answer to your question, don't hesitate to ask a library staff member for assistance by emailing or calling the main library phone number: 540-887-7085 If you have a question about research, try the Research Help Guide.


How do I set up my library account?


You can create an account through the My Library Account on the homepage. You will need your Mary Baldwin ID number. On the Request/Renew Page, enter your Mary Baldwin ID number into the box, then select the "Set/reset password" button. You will get an email with further instruction. Need more help? See our Library Account Guide


How do I renew materials?


You can renew materials using the My Library Account from the homepage. You will need to have a library account already set up. Need more help? See our Library Account Guide


How do I place a hold/request a book?


To place a request on a book, you must first create an account in the library catalog, and be logged into that account. Once you find your book in the library catalog, click on the link for the book in the search results list, and find the brown button that says "Place Hold." Need more help? See our Library Account Guide


How do I request items through Interlibrary Loan?


Our interlibrary loan FAQ contain an abundance of information on how to request items through interlibrary loan and what happens to your request and your item throughout the process. If your question isn't answered here, please contact our interlibrary loan coordinator.


How do I access library resources from off campus?


Go the Library homepage and click on the Off Campus Access button in the left side navigation. You will be prompted to supply your Mary Baldwin Network/e-mail User Name and Mary Baldwin Network Password.  If you have questions about your user name or password, please visit the Office of Information Technology (OIT) website or contact OIT at 540-887-7075.


I live off campus. Can you mail a book or article to me?


If you live off campus, you may have books mailed to your house by requesting the books through GLDYS. You need to first make a library account. You can also request books by sending us the citation information to our e-mail account,, or by filling out the online ILL forms.The books will be sent to you free of charge. However, you are responsible for sending them back. Remember to mail your books several days before they are due. You will be responsible for any late fees accrued if they arrive after their due date. Articles from journal owned by Grafton may be requested the same way, and will be emailed to you once they become available. 


How do I access ebooks?


You access Grafton's electronic books through the Library Catalog. If your search results, say "eBook" under the author then the item is an ebook, and you can access it by clicking on the View online link. Need more help? See our eBooks and e-magazines page.  


Do you have access to electronic magazines?


Yes! You can access magazines using the online platform Flipster. You can see more information, as well as what magazines are available on the Newspapers & Magazines Page.


How can I find access to a journal article that I want?


The most reliable way to find out if Grafton Library has access to a journal article is to search the Journal Finder. While the vast majority of our journal holdings are electronic, we do have some print and microform collections. Please see a staff member if you need to access an item in one of these collections. Remember, if we don't have access to a journal, you can request the article through Interlibrary loan!


My professor said a book is "on reserve." How do I access it?


Items on reserve are available at the Circulation Desk on the main floor of the library. Each student may checkout up to three reserves at one time. Reserves check out for 4 hours and may not leave the library. If you need to watch a DVD that's on Reserve, you can use the TV with the DVD player on the 1st floor or a laptop.


How do I print?


You can print documents in black and white using the library's printers. Printing is free, but not unlimited. Each student may print up to 1000 pages, after which they will need to contact the Office of Information Technology at 540-840-7075. You can also print remotely. You can send the print request from any computer using your Mary Baldwin email address. Simply attach the file(s) that you wish to print to the email and send it to It will only print out once you logon to a university printer and release it. Documents will be available for 24 hours. 


Other questions?


If you have questions not answered here, or if you need help with finding books or articles, citing materials, using library databases, using library equipment, please send your question to